As we ramp up into the school year, the struggle to keep some quality family time becomes difficult. However, this is when we really need to fight for that quality time with our kids. The world is going to be speaking to your child many hours each day. What are some things we can do to get the Word of God in our kids even on busy days?
5 Things to Try this week
1. Write a verse on a whiteboard or chalkboard in the kitchen. Every time you sit down to eat have everyone read the verse and talk about how they can apply that to their day.
2. Take just a second before you drop them off in the morning to pray. Just a quick invitation to God to lead them that day, for them to be a light to others and for something they may be nervous or excited about. Not only are you teaching them a habit of prayer you are showing them your faith in God to help them.
3. Mark your calendar - Set an hour of time this week for your children to plan the time with you. It can be simple... like playing a game or swimming together. It can be more involved like a trip to bowl or tickets to something fun. The size of the event does not matter. It's the fact that you took time to FOCUS on them that counts.
4. FUN! Put a piece of paper in a family area of the house. Have one person draw one thing to get it started. Each day everyone adds to the picture. Take time at the end of the week to look at it together and talk about what each person added.
5. Before bed read together. Start in the beginning of your child's Bible and read one story each night. Talk about how God worked in that story and why He wants you to know that truth about Him.
Be intentional, don't give up, if you miss a day - just try again tomorrow! It's worth it!